With the cost of living crisis getting quite spicy- how about we create a casserole that is respective to the budget! Canned food is cheap and therefore we use it a lot here to protect our budget! Chickpeas are a good source of protein in this recipe and the casserole is vegetarian. If you’re here to save, then the Budget-Friendly Canned Casserole is for you!
If you don’t like spicy food, you can replace the finger chillies with another herb or spice. I would recommend corriander (or cilantro) if you want to replace the finger chillies. You can add double cream to the casserole to give it a milder touch or just make it more creamier and thicker!
Budget-Friendly Canned Casserole Recipe
Budget-Friendly Canned Casserole
- 1 can mushrooms
- 2 cans chopped tomato
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 onions
- 3 potatoes
- 5 dried finger chillies
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Preheat oven to 200 C fan on
- Pour the mushrooms, chickpeas and tomatoes into the casserole dish with the spices. Keep the liquids in but if there's too much liquid then drain (into a strainer) the chickpeas and mushrooms before adding. Keep the liquid for a stock.
- Slice the onions and cut the potatoes into cubes then brown the onions and potatoes then add them to the casserole.
- Mix everything then put the casserole dish covered in the oven for an hour and a half.
- Remove cover then keep in oven for 30 to an hour until the top is browned.
We hope you enjoyed the recipe and make sure to comment down what you think of the recipe or what you’ve done with it! Hopefully this is a budget friendly recipe and you can use these methods to save money in a crisis time like this period. If you would like to save more money- make sure to check out our cheaper method of making butter! Or check out our YouTube channel for the occassional cheap recipe!