Onion bread is a delicious and a great way to use up any leftover onions! You can also add garlic to give a much stronger flavour as well! If you have any dried herbs they would also give it a great flavour too!
We used red onions since they’re healthier than white onions– you can choose whichever onion you wish to choose. For any condiments or spreads you’d like to use with your bread we have homemade butter which is much more delicious than the store-bought variant.
You can use any other oil other than olive oil; ghee is preferable though.
Onion Bread Recipe
- 500 grams strong white bread flour
- 300 ml warm water
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 diced (any) onions
- whole diced garlic optional
- 2 pinches salt
- 10 grams yeast
- Mix the water with the yeast until it is cloudy and well incorporated together.
- Add the water to the flour and then add the oil with chopped onions, salt and the (optional- if used; garlic)- knead into a dough. Then knead continuously for 5 minutes straight.
- Cover the dough in a mixing bowl with cling film above. Keep under the sun for 12 hours until fully risen.
- Once risen prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper then place the dough on the baking paper. Add three slices to the top which are medium in depth to allow the bread to cook evenly. Heat oven to 200-225 C fan on.
- Keep the bread in the oven for 25 minutes if 225 fan on or 30 minutes if 200 C fan on.
- Chill for half an hour then wrap the bread up or use!
Other Bread Recipes
- White Parsley and Pepper Bread – This bread is delicious- not only does the black pepper add a depth of spice- the parsley gives it green goodness!
- White Olive Bread – Make sure to push the olives into the bread so they don’t burn! The olives add nice moisture and flavour!
- White Bread – Basic white bread; you know the rest!
- Flatbread – No yeast? No problem!
- Besan ki Roti – This Indian flatbread is delicious and requires besan flour if you have some!
- Raisin Bread – Sweet and savoury in one bread, the raisins add a great addition!