Well, there’s something common with this blog on the food side- we love our budget food! Especially our casseroles and especially when they’re cheap to cook! Today’s budget casserole is the beetroot and leak casserole! Beetroot will also add a nice red shine to the dish as well!
If you want to add a bit of extra goodness to this recipe, then why not add olive bread to it! It especially helps with the spiciness of the casserole if you do add the peppers! There’s a whole list of other sides that would go well with this recipe on our YouTube channel!
Beetroot and Leak Budget Casserole Recipe
Beetroot and Leek Budget Casserole
- 200 ml super enriched stock
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 whole garlic
- ½ celery
- 1 leek
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp toasted flour
- 4 dried finger chillies
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- Preheat oven to 180 C fan on.
- Add the stock, chickpeas, mushrooms, spices, herbs and chopped tomato to the casserole dish and mix.
- Chop the leeks into even slices then brown on a medium-high skillet for a few minutes then once browned add to the casserole dish. Do the same with the celery.
- Chop the beetroot into medium even chunks then add to the casserole dish. Then proceed to chop up the garlic into small dices then add.
- Add the dried finger chillies then mix the casserole until everything is well mixed.
- Place into the oven covered for an hour and a half then uncovered for around 20 minutes to half an hour.